Applying for a position with the City:
Applications for employment are available at City Hall and are available for download.
The City of Abbeville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are currently accepting job applications for the following position:
This is a full time position responsible for performing skilled work involving the operation of heavy equipment for repairing and maintaining electrical lines. Performs general electrical services for other city departments and maintains rights of way.
- Operates a bucket truck and/or line truck in the installation/maintenance of electrical lines
- Operates equipment such as backhoe, tandem trucks, trenchers, chain saws, fork lifts, winches, mechanic tools, electrical tools, etc.
- Cuts and clears trees and brush for maintenance of rights of way
- Reads meters and performs turn-on and turn-off as directed; responds to customer complaints; provides general information and assistance to customers as requested
- Reviews blueprints in locating electrical lines and electrical drawings for installation/maintenance of electrical lines
- Performs electrical services for various city departments/offices such as the Police Department, City Hall, etc.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to operate heavy equipment in a safe and effective manner as well as conduct installation, repair and maintenance to electrical lines and apparatuses
- Ability to understand and apply detailed oral and written instructions and assignments and establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, City employees, and the general public
- Ability to conduct duties in extreme weather conditions
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and/or electrical drawings
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid SC driver’s license with a good driving record
- Have or obtain a CDL within 6 months
- 4-5 years of electrical experience or technical knowledge preferred
- Must pass a thorough background investigation, pre-employment drug screen and physical examination
Deadline to Apply: Until position if filled