Applying for a position with the City:
Applications for employment are available at City Hall and are available for download.
The City of Abbeville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are currently accepting job applications for the following positions:
Under general supervision exercises responsibilities for the enforcement of state and local laws relating to public safety and welfare. Exercises independent judgment in dealing with dangerous or emergency situations, exercising safety practices and procedures. Works under stressful and dangerous conditions. Reports to the Lieutenant/Sergeant.
- High School diploma/GED
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must have no criminal record
- Valid SC Class D Driver's License
- Must be able to pass a background and license check, drug screen and medical physical
- SC Class 1 LE certification preferred, but not required
Pay Range: $28,731 - $30,472 according to experience
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Water/Wastewater Distribution Supervisor
This is a full time position responsible for the day to day operations, crew supervision, installation of lines, maintenance of lines, and compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Plans, schedules, supervises, and inspects the installation, repair, and maintenance of water/wastewater lines, meters, valves, manholes, and hydrants
- Plans and executes emergency maintenance and isolation procedures
- Coordinates activities with other departments, contractors, agencies, and the general public
- Inspects lift stations and takes corrective action for operational, mechanical, or electrical malfunctions
- Maintains required reports and records including completed work requests, flushing schedules, valve maintenance, and lift station inspections
- Maintains required reports and records for regulatory agencies including DHEC
- Supervises the work of other crew members
- Submits requests for the requisition of supplies and equipment
- Operates equipment as necessary to assist other workers
- Be able to work well with a team and individually
- Be able to work in a safe manner
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Good communication skills
- Able to utilize programs with Microsoft Office
- Capable of operating various heavy equipment
- Able to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations
- A customer service mindset
- Trouble shooting experience
- 3-5 years experience in water/wastewater operations or construction/repair of such systems or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid SC driver's license with a good driving record
- Have or obtain a CDL within 6 months
- Must pass a thorough background investigation, pre-employment drug screen, and physical examination
Deadline to Apply: February 6, 2017