Current Job Opening
Position of Police Sergeant (Uniform Patrol)
The City of Abbeville is currently accepting applications for a Police Sergeant on Uniform Patrol.
· High school graduate or equivalent, with vocational/technical training in supervision and police management preferred, and 3 - 5 years law enforcement experience; or any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience.
· Must have successfully completed prescribed course of study in basic law enforcement provided by the state of South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
· Capable of using independent judgment and discretion in dealing with emergency and criminal situations; and in providing leadership to Police Officers.
· Able to administer policies, procedures, plans, and activities and to monitor performance of subordinates against established goals.
· Ability to effectively communicate with individuals and groups from a wide variety of educational and cultural backgrounds.
· Able to perform the duties of the position under stressful and dangerous conditions.
· Able to monitor the assignments/ work of subordinates to ensure safe and proper compliance with all applicable standards, laws and regulations. Able to utilize and operate equipment, firearms and other items used in law enforcement.
· Able to plan, supervise and organize the work of subordinates, and maintain related records.
· Can compile, organize, maintain and prepare a variety of records and reports as required.
· Able to interpret and apply provisions of the law, and ensure that subordinates understand and implement the same.
· Has the ability to meet all physical standards and requirements.
· Must pass a thorough background investigation, pre-employment drug screen and physical examination.
· Must possess a valid SC driver’s license with a good driving history.
Pay Range: $33,936 - $35,996 according to experience
How to apply: Sworn officers who wish to be considered are directed to apply by downloading and completing an application from the city website (www.abbevillecitysc.com) use the Administration tab then click the Human Resources tab or you may apply in person at City Hall 100 Court Square. All applications and/or resumes can be submitted via email (email@example.com) or in person at the Police Department.
Deadline: Applications must be received no later than Monday, December 29, 2015 @ 3:00 pm.
Warehouse Supervisor/ Staff Technician
The City of Abbeville is currently accepting applications for a Warehouse Supervisor/ Staff Technician in the Public Utilities Department. Duties include purchasing and maintaining inventory and supplies by receiving, storing, and delivering items. This position also performs a wide variety of specialized technical work, system monitoring and support for the Utility Department. Work involves purchasing material needed by utility crews, maintaining warehouse and stock, assisting with technical programs, and any other related tasks as needed by the Utility Director. Additional duties may be assigned.
· Must have effective communication and problem solving skills
· Ability to work well in a team environment
· Associates Degree in business or a technical field preferred with 1-2 years of purchasing/receiving or technical experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
· Knowledge with GIS, SCADA or other Utility related programs or systems strongly desired
· Must pass a thorough background investigation, pre-employment drug screen and physical examination
· Must possess a valid SC driver’s license with a good driving history
· Must possess or be able to obtain a valid forklift operator’s license within 90 days of hire
How to apply:
Submit a City of Abbeville application, cover letter, resume, and references to Human Resources, PO Box 40, Abbeville SC 29620. Applications are available online at www.abbevillecitysc.com or at City Hall/Opera House.
Deadline: Until Filled
The City of Abbeville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.